- (1.) Why do you think that Durkheim picked suicide as an example to make his point?
- (2.) In what ways is the obesity example similar to, and different than, the suicide example, as a way to highlight the tension between structure and agency?
- (3.) What is meant by the notion of “emergent” phenomena? This concept appears to be widespread in the natural and social sciences. Can you think of other aspects of society that are emergent?
- (4.) How do networks differ from groups? In what ways might attention to networks provide a way to mediate between the phenomena of structure and agency?
- (5.) What is social capital? What is a reason we might neglect it?