Last updated on August 16, 2011
What personal information does Floating University display or collect?
The information we gather from users enables us to personalize and improve our services, and to allow our users to set up a user account and profile that can be used to interact with other users through floatinguniversity.com. In connection with floatinguniversity.com, we request and display some personal information to other users and visitors of floatinguniversity.com, which allows users to identify each other.
We collect the following types of information from our users:
- 1. Personal Information You Provide to Us: We receive and store any information you enter on floatinguniversity.com or provide to us in any other way. The types of Personal Information collected include or may include in the future your name, age, gender, e-mail address, income, and hometown. The Personal Information you provide is used for such purposes as responding to your requests for certain information, products and services, customizing the advertising and content you see, and communicating with you about specials and new features. You may modify or remove any of the personal information associated with your profile by logging into your account and accessing features to edit your profile and account information.
- 2. Personal Information for Paid Products: To enable you to purchase a digital subscription and other products we make available, we collect and store billing and credit card information. This information will only be shared with third parties who perform tasks required to complete the purchase transaction. Examples of this include fulfilling orders and processing credit card payments.
- 3. Personal Information Collected Automatically: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with floatinguniversity.com or obtain services from us. Floating University automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, Floating University cookie information, and the page you requested. We also record the details of your transactions on floatinguniversity.com.
- 4. Generally, our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our site and its components, similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show. Floating University only uses this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, and not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us to figure out how often users use parts of floatinguniversity.com or services so that we can make floatinguniversity.com appealing to as many users as possible, and improve those services. As part of this use of information, we may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our users, collectively, use our site. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their services and floatinguniversity.com, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal online experience. Again, Floating University never discloses aggregate information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally.
- 5. E-mail Communications: We often receive a confirmation when you open an e-mail from Floating University if your computer supports this type of program. Floating University uses this confirmation to help us make e-mails more interesting and helpful. We also compare our user list to lists received from other companies, in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our users.
Cookies are data that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our site are visited and by how many people. Floating University cookies do not collect Personal Information, and we do not combine the general information collected through cookies with other Personal Information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or email address is.
Will Floating University share any of the personal information it receives?
Personal Information about our users is an integral part of our business. We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information to anyone. We share your Personal Information only as described below.
- 1. Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We anticipate that we may become affiliated with a variety of businesses and work closely with them. In certain situations, these businesses may operate stores at floatinguniversity.com or sell items to you through floatinguniversity.com. In other situations, Floating University may provide services, or sell products jointly with affiliated businesses. You can easily recognize when an affiliated business is associated with your transaction, and we will share user information that is related to such transactions with that affiliated business.
- 2. Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Examples of this include fulfilling orders and processing credit card payments, sending email, analyzing data, and providing user services. Unless we tell you differently, Floating University's agents do not have any right to use Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Personal Information for the above purposes.
- 3. User profiles: User profile information including users' name, phone number, and email address may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within floatinguniversity.com. Users' full names will not be directly revealed to other users by Floating University, however, to facilitate searching Contributor Submissions, Floating University allows users to search for other users by using information users provide in their profile.
- 4. Communication in response to Contributor Submissions: As part of floatinguniversity.com and Services, you will receive from Floating University and other users e-mail and other communication relating to your Contributor Submissions (as defined in the Terms of Service). You acknowledge and agree that by posting such Contributor Submissions, Floating University and other users may send you e-mail and other communication that they determine in their sole discretion relate to your Contributor Submissions.
- 5. Course Announcements: Floating University allows users the option of having email alerts sent to them containing updates about courses in which they are enrolled, including changes to course materials and assignments. Users can opt-in to these email alerts by choosing to receive them upon registration. Subsequently, users can opt out of the email alerts by choosing not to receive them from the settings page of their Floating University account.
- 6. We do not currently send offers to users on behalf of other businesses, but reserve the right to do so. However, if we do so, we will not give the other business your name and address. If you receive an offer and do not wish to do so, please send us an email to unsubscribe or click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
- 7. Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if Floating University, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Floating University goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Floating University may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
- 9. With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be given the option to prevent the sharing of this information.
Is personal information about me secure?
Your Floating University account Personal Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need ensure that there is no unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
Floating University endeavors to protect user information to ensure that user account information is kept private, however, Floating University cannot guarantee the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. For additional information about the security measures Floating University uses in connection with floatinguniversity.com, please contact us at privacy:floatinguniversity_com.
Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily post information to public areas on floatinguniversity.com or any other public forums, such information can be accessed by the public.
What personal information can I access?
Floating University allows you to access the following information about you for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information. This list will change as floatinguniversity.com changes. You may currently access the following information:
- 1. Account information
- 2. User profile
- 3. User preferences
- 4. Video and image content in your account
What other choices do I have regarding my personal information?
As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose information, even though it may be needed to take advantage of certain Floating University features.
You are able to add or update certain information on pages, such as those listed in the "What Personal Information Can I Access" section above. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
You may request deletion of your Floating University account by sending an e-mail to our webmaster at accounts:floatinguniversity_com. Please note that some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account.